Cathedral Music Trust was recently formed to expand the work of Friends of Cathedral Music, a charity founded in 1956.
Our purpose is
- To campaign on behalf of cathedral music and musicians
- To increase public awareness and appreciation of cathedral music
- To encourage the pursuit of excellence in choral and organ music
- To give grants to cathedral choirs and choristers in need
Cathedral Music Trust is committed to enabling children from a diverse range of backgrounds to experience the many benefits that come from being a chorister.
From the foundation of Friends of Cathedral Music to the launch of Cathedral Music Trust
- Since the launch of Friends of Cathedral Music in 1956, the Friends have given generously to Anglican and Roman Catholic cathedrals, church and collegiate chapel choirs in the UK and overseas
- In the last six years alone, we have given £2 million in grants
- We have endowed many choristerships
- We have worked to influence and maintain the cathedral tradition of choral worship
- Launched the Diamond Fund for Choristers in 2016, helping over 1,000 children
How are we organised?
- We have two Patrons: The Archbishop of Canterbury & The Cardinal Archbishop of Westminster
- Our President is Harry Christophers CBE
- A Board of Trustees
- Executive Officers comprising a Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, with four members of employed staff responsible for specific areas
- Diocesan Representatives
- A written Constitution
How do we raise money to support cathedral choirs?
- Annual subscriptions from members
- Sales of merchandise
Benefits of being a Friend include
- A welcome pack
- A free twice-yearly illustrated colour magazine, Cathedral Music
- A free twice-yearly house journal, Cathedral Voice
- Meeting other Friends and enjoying cathedral music at local and national gatherings in cathedral cities
- Advance notice of future events
- Intangible benefits such as the knowledge that we are supporting the development of sacred choral music
How do we spend money in supporting choirs?
At a time when many cathedral and church music departments are battling with running costs, Cathedral Music Trust gives invaluable grants to assist in maintaining this priceless, 1400-year-old heritage.
- See Grants section for details of our grants.